We do not accept unsolicited artworks by new artists. In order to qualify to show art and to get on our wait list we need artists to follow the link below and fill in our online submission form.
Once we receive the submission form, artists receive an email confirming the submission was received, and go onto the wait list to await further instruction.
Our wait list is in the order of first come, first serve.
What New Artists Can Expect
- A buy-in fee of $100 is required for first time artists to display artworks. This is NOT refundable but the additional $50 deposit will be refunded if an artist cooperates with the gallery (see below).
- New Artists are required to attend their Opening Reception to receive 50% of their monthly buy-in back.
- Artists are required to pay an initial $50 deposit, on top of their $100 buy-in fee to confirm their standing on the waitlist as an Active Artist, but only when requested by a gallery administrator (normally three months before showing).
- 20% commission is taken off of sales at the end of each month.
- Each artist is given an approximate 8ft x 8ft wall space to display artworks. For jewellery, artists are given 3 to 4 shelves in our glass cabinets. There is no criteria for sculptures or installations so it is best to discuss this with us to work something out.
- A 400 to 800 word article will be written about each new artist in order for us to learn more about each artists, and their art. This article is featured on our website and used to promote an artists art show for the duration of the month of showing.
- Seasonal flyers are printed (every three months) to advertise Opening Receptions, Group or Solo shows, including artists inclusion.
- A 2017 Gallery Book is in the planning which will include short articles and photoshoots of all artists featured at Motion Gallery in the last 3 years. This book is an ongoing project for years and artists to come.
- No preference is given to any particular artists, depending on experience or reputation, or style of artwork. Curation is kept to a minimum, however, it is vitally important that artworks are professionally finished and ready to sell before they are accepted by the gallery.
- Artwork must also be PG rated or at least tasteful since we are located in a shopping mall.
- Motion Gallery Artists automatically become a members to our society. This basically means our artists have a say, and voting rights at our Annual General Meetings which are held in June.
Up until now artists on the wait list have had to wait a long time to get a spot to display their work. Our wait list depends entirely on whether a permanent artist leaves. Because of the long wait we offering two types of showings – a Short Term Show, which is just a one month show, and a Long Term (a permanent spot). See below for more details on each term.